Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 8

There was no Chapel in Colson's original plans and it was not until subscription allowed that this Chapel was added after 1880. As student numbers grew the chapel extended westwards between 1897 and 1910 and a door was inserted in the south side. Compulsory Chapel remained part of the College life until c 1970. An … Continue reading Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 8

Advertisements

Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 7

Communal, and formal, dining were central to College life up to the 1960s. Here, c 1913, we see the original Dining Hall of 1860, gas-lit, with the conical hatch to the kitchen shown on Colson's plans of 1860 plainly visible. This Dining Hall, and the kitchens, were significantly upgraded at a cost of £14,500 in … Continue reading Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 7

Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 5

The Bar End Playing Field, about a mile from the College, purchased in 1935 provided an outlet for energetic students as this cricket match with the rugby posts beyond shows. It was turned over to pasture during the Second War and needed much reclamation thereafter. Today the all-weather track and sports field, the latter a … Continue reading Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 5