Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 15

The student village at West Downs, designed by Feilden Clegg, the first phase of which was opened in Autumn 1995. It won a National Housing Award when the Minister of Housing suggested that it would form a good set for West Side Story. There are now 900 students on the site. On the other hand--The … Continue reading Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 15

Advertisements

Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 10

Medecroft from the south. A spacious villa of 1868 became a private school and was purchased by the College at auction in 1965. It opened the following year as an Art and Craft centre and, recently thoroughly refurbished, today houses the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences. The image to the right is of the … Continue reading Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 10

Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 9

A new Chapel, designed after plans for expansion to 400 students and more had been announced in 1958, was planned by 1960 and opened in 1964 when it was becoming apparent that numbers were swelling still further. With 630 students King Alfred's was in that year 'the largest Church of England College for men and … Continue reading Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 9