Shoei College Winchester received its first students in September 1982, following negotiations between Principal Rose and his Japanese counterparts. Here we see John Taylor, Chairman of the Governors and Bishop of Winchester, Canon Imai and Dr Naoyuki Okami, then President of Shoei college in Tokyo at the unveiling of a commemorative plaque.
To the right is a photo depicting Japanese musicians;they are seen here playing the Koto.
A postcard aerial view of the College in the 1950s. The foreground buildings, the late-1930s Gymnasium and Great Hall help to date this. The disturbance at the east end of the Dytche suggests it is before 1957.
(image above) c 1994. The full complement of buildings on the King Alfred’s site is seen from the air. The uncertainty about the future of teacher training and the closure of many colleges in the 1970s and ’80s caused much concern. However at King Alfred’s under principals Stripe and Rose piecemeal development took place at every opportunity.
The buildings from the Dytche in 1994. Little has apparently changed on a surface. However, something extraordinary had happened amid these unprepossessing buildings: the College had grown from around 1,000 in 1985 to some 5,000 by 1996. Achievement of this critical mass, led by Vice-Principal Drey and latterly by Principal John Dickinson confirmed there was a future for the institution which became increasingly popular and has remained so.