Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 18

To the left is an image of the Common Room in the early twentieth century. Having a drink in the former Students Union of the 1960s, subsequently the Senior Common Room and now Student Services by the Terrace. Entertaining in a study bedroom. In early days after the admission of women in 1960, Vice-Principal Robina … Continue reading Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 18

Advertisements

Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 17

The former entrance from Sparkford Road with the kitchen chimney of the 1960s Dining Hall.       The University entrance today, part of the splendid University Centre creating with confidence a new sense of arrival at the University of Winchester. Here is a view up Sparkford Road before the University Centre.       … Continue reading Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 17

Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 16

Midsummer Night's Dream directed by Alan Knight at Mottisfont in 1981. Outdoor Summer productions caught the public's attention whether at Mottisfont or at Wolvesey Palace, Winchester. The outdoors provided the opportunity to use extra special effects: in this production towards the climax there was a horse on the stage and also fireworks (and actors) -- all … Continue reading Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 16

Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 14

West Downs, built c 1880, became a Prep School under Lionel Helbert in 1897. Subsequently owned and run by the Cornes family it closed in 1987 and became increasingly derelict until it was purchased by the College in 1994. With the student Village built in the mid-1990s, the West Downs building itself could be renovated … Continue reading Diamond Jubilee Exhibition (A look Back) Part 14